La
Cigale

120 BOULEVARD ROCHECHOUART, 75018 PARIS

accueil@lacigale.fr
+33 1 49 25 81 75

La Cigale, today listed as an historical monument, was founded as a theatre in 1887, in the heart of Montmartre. It took the form of a cabaret hosting French music stars such as Mistinguett, Maurice Chevalier, Arletty, Charles Trenet, the futuristic soirées of Jean Cocteau, and then in the 1940s, it was converted to become a mainstream cinema.


In 1987, through an initiative by French music legends Les Rita Mitsouko, the new Cigale, renewed and redecorated by the designer architect Philippe Starck, opened its doors. It was reborn as a multi-purpose entertainment venue, hosting the most avant-garde stars of the international scene (Red Hot Chili Peppers, David Bowie/Tin Machine, Ben Harper, Norah Jones), prestigious French stars such as Johnny Hallyday, Vanessa Paradis and Booba, as well as running a variety of events, both public (the Les Inrocks festival) and private, including the organisation of fashion shows and hosting an auction room selling works of Street Art.


With a 1400-person capacity, La Cigale remains a mythical venue in Paris, as was clearly demonstrated by the recent concert-event by Prince in October 2009. The forthcoming opening of Café Cigale in 2010, in association with the Thierry Costes group, will continue to strengthen the reputation and the attractiveness of this prestigious venue.


La Cigale also owns the restaurant La Cantine de la Cigale.